The music curriculum at Royal Wootton Bassett Academy intends to encourage all students on an enjoyable musical journey, develop instrumental skills, inspire creativity, self-expression, listening and composing skills. We hope to foster a lifelong love of music by exposing them to diverse musical experiences and igniting a passion for music. By listening and responding to different musical styles, finding their voices as singers and performers and as composers, all will enable them to become confident, reflective musicians.
‘Music is a universal language that embodies one of the highest forms of creativity’ (The National Curriculum)
Our music curriculum is broad and ambitious, rich in skills and knowledge, which ignites curiosity and prepares students well for future learning or employment. Our music curriculum will give students the opportunity to:
- Develop as a performing musician as an individual and as part of a group.
- Develop a thorough understanding of music, through performing, composing listening and analysing.
- Develop self-confidence through performance, both through lessons and extra-curricular participation
- Encourage creativity through composition skills
- Understand the complexities of music through analysis of a wide range of genres from different musical and cultural perspectives
- Encourage personal development through ensemble performances and group compositions
- Understand how music can support the development of life skills, such as confidence, self-awareness, perseverance and discipline and provide a holistic experience that they can take beyond their musical studies
- Develop their cross-curricular skills of problem solving, perseverance, diligence, teamwork, time management, organisation, responsibility and cultural history
- Gain a sense of achievement through performance.
We have a strong tradition of musical extra-curricular excellence with groups such as RWBA Wind Band, Swing Band and Saxophone Ensemble performing at the Music for Youth finals on several occasions. Senior Choir perform the Messiah annually at the Royal Albert Hall and we have fantastic whole school productions such as Grease, Beauty and the Beast, Wizard of Oz and Hairspray.